projects > name that color
Name that Color
Click & drag over the Color Wheel to make a color
Outer box: Your selected color. Inner box: Actual color of closest match.
About Name that Color
- Being a typical guy, I have no clue what the colors Lavender and Mauve look like. You can show me Indigo and I won't know if it's more like Violet or Purple. So I made this little app where you can create a color on the screen (or copy-paste CSS hex# color) and find out the name of the closest matching color.
- You can also select from the dropdown list of 1500+ colors and then play around. Here's an improved version of this tool made by Daniel Flueck, Color Name & Hue that is useful especially for colorblind folks.
- The color names in this list were found via Wikipedia, Crayola, and Color-Name Dictionaries like Resene. I removed duplicates and manually edited the list for consistency.
- This tool is simply for fun and personal use. Don't send off that marketing brochure to printers based on this.
Incorporate this into your site
- Example: Daniel Flueck's Color Name & Hue.
- Developer: Chirag Mehta, 16 Aug. 2007 (Last update: 3 Sep. 2007)
- This text, algorithm, and design is copyrighted to Chirag Mehta, 2001.
- The Farbtastic: jQuery color picker plug-in is copyrighted to Steven Wittens, 2007.
- The Resene RGB Values List is copyrighted to Resene Paints Ltd, 2001.
- For reproduction / copyright information contact me.