projects > tip of my tongue
Tip of My Tongue
Find that word that you've been thinking about all day but just can't seem to remember
About Tip of My Tongue
- I use a mix of dictionaries, primarily WordNet 2 (MySQL). The problem with just WordNet is that it doesn't include all words so I have to rely on other sources.
- This is not an extremely thorough dictionary search application and is instead aimed to provide very fast results to help you narrow down to the word you are looking for.
- Currently only one meaning per word is shown. The word 'set' may have 52 meanings in the dictionary but since the goal of this tool is to find the word and not define it thoroughly, only meaning is shown.
- The 'Word Meaning' search looks for the criteria in the meaning of every word in the dictionary. It is not an synonym search though it is possible to build that feature too if enough people ask me to.
Regarding the dictionary: I need a better one. Even the word 'pizza' is not in this list! I have looked at WordNet and the problem is that it doesn't include all words. So I have to compile my own dictionary from WordNet + Wiktionary + GCIDE etc. And all of these have databases in their own format so parsing them to get a good [word -> meaning] list is not trivial. Anyone know a good simple online/free dictionary with straight-forward [word|meaning] mapping that I can legally use here?
- Developer: Chirag Mehta, 22 Sep. 2007 (Last update: 19 Oct. 2008)
- This text, algorithm, and design is copyrighted to Chirag Mehta, 2001.
- For reproduction / copyright information contact me.